Two recent developments on the jPod:
1. More progress on the Galley
2. The jPod is now completely wired.
Progress on the Galley
Senior Management has done a lot of work helping me with the design for the Galley. Slowly, it is coming together. I’ve installed the lighting in the galley hatch & wired it up, tiled the counter top, and got the galley struts installed.
It helps that we’ve used the jPod several times because it has allowed us time to debate, plan, and develop what we want in a galley. I’m going to draw up another diagram for the galley and post it on the Galley Page for version 3.0. There are a few pictures of the galley’s progress below & many more on the Galley Page.
The jPod is wired
I’ve been installing & running wires off and on for some time. The wiring finally came to a point where it can all be hooked up to the fuse block & finished. On a night last week, I decided it was wiring night & Nathan and I (mostly Nathan) hooked up all of the wiring. Besides a burn on Nathan’s arm from the heat-gun, it went smoothly. The best part of the wiring was that it all works! I was a bit apprehensive about flipping all of the switches the first time because I didn’t want to have to tear something apart & problem solve. As it turned out, no problems.
I was much more than apprehensive about drilling a hole in the side of the jPod for 110 shore power. I cut a 1 & 3/4″ hole in the side of the trailer which feeds directly into my electrical access cabinet in the cabin. As I was making this hole I was hoping I wouldn’t screw up the side of the jPod. That is a big hole & I didn’t want to go back to fix something. Thankfully, it all went smoothly. As with many parts of this project, I just needed to bite my lip and go for it. Courage is most of the battle with this build. I found a marine grade electrical outlet and installed it with some putty tape. Out of this port, I can pull a 50′ extension cord to access shore power.
Some tear droppers create an integrated electrical system with inverters & converters. The other extreme are those campers who install no wiring of any kind in their trailer but run a 110 extension cord through their window. This is really a subjective area of a build. For us, we decided to leave the 110 separate from the 12V system. I do plan to install a battery tender on the tongue for the battery and I can always use the 110 through my electrical access. I will put an outlet in both the galley & cabin for access to 110 & the same for 12V. It seemed simplest & the most economical solution. I’ve posted some pictures of the electrical (below) but all of them can be seen on Body: Internal & Body:External.
Here are the teaser pics: