Historic Camping & Teardrop Trailers: An Educational Documentary
Tell me more about this film!
Travel across the United States with educator Mark Janke on a quest to discover the roots of historic RVs and Teardrop Trailers.
This 55 minute journey features original interviews with experts, owners, and historians, original footage of historic & contemporary home-built camping vehicles, primary source photos, film clips, and articles.
Catch a ride on one of the most forgotten parts of American history!
Where is it playing?
“Historic Camping & Teardrop Trailers” is a featured documentary at the Spokane International Film Festival. Read more here.
What are People Saying?
- “I got the DVD today, all I say WOW what a great film. Great history lesson. I watched it with my daughter who is in 7th grade. I’ll be ordering another copy to donate to her history class. Thanks again for taking the time to put this together and for being a caring teacher for our children.”
- “Absolutely a great piece of work! EVERYONE needs to get a copy!!! Thanks Mark!!! (Loved the blooper real too. I bet there was more)”
- – Chris’ Autobody Restoration Service (www.CARSofComfrey.com)
- “Great Job Mark! I love the film. I’m getting it on Blu Ray. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this project. I’m sure it will inspire the young folk to leave their rooms and pc’s behind and get out and do things. Again, Great Job!”
- -Kevin (http://www.kitemonger.com/)
- “Congrats on a fine addition to the Tear Drop world”
- “We just watched this a while ago and I just wanted to say how awesome it was. This’ll definitely be a repeat-watch for awhile. RV crazy had a little blurb about TDs. This whole production is about TDs. Its great!”
- – Joshua (Teardrop Builder)
- “Bought it, loved it…and will re-watch many times.”
- – Marge (Member of Tin Can Tourist)
- “I showed it to a friend who doesn’t even quite understand what a teardrop is, thinks that a TAB is same thing, and here’s what he said. “Just delightful!” I can say the same thing. Simply delightful!”
- Rob Fisher (member at Teardrops & Tiny Campers)
- Cool Tears and Tiny Trailers Magazine – A critical review of the film & interview with creator Mark Janke.
- RV Magazine – Featuring Larry Shank from the “Historic Camping & Teardrop Trailers” film. Published just in advance of the film.
- Sandpoint Magazine – An article that features restorer Debra Kellerman from the “Historic Camping & Teardrop Trailers” film.
About Mark Janke the Teacher
Mark Janke is a high-school Social Studies teacher who has taught at the secondary level for eleven years (that’s over 4,000 teens!). One of his favorite subjects to teach is American History.
“In the fall of 2009, I was one of 8 teachers invited to the United States Library of Congress for a special week of instruction and research in our nation’s most important library. In my research, I had the privilege of reading books which Thomas Jefferson used in his own library, breathed over a rough draft of the declaration of independence, and spent some time with many of the North American explorer’s journals.
It was while I was in our nation’s capitol that I felt I had found the place where my dream of making this educational film could be realized. Since that time, I have added more sponsors for this project & it is a privilege to work with so many great institutions. I know the final product will be great because of all of the historians, businesses, universities, and RV enthusiasts who believe in it and want it to succeed.”
- Adventure Film 01: Ocean Shores
- Adventure Film 02: Ocean Shores
- Adventure Film 03: Ocean Shores
- Adventure Film 04: Glacier National Park
- Adventure Film 05: To Camp-Inn Teardrops
- Adventure Film 06: Lakes & Origins
- Adventure Film 07: The Family Tree
- Adventure Film 08: Vintage Mood
The Making of “Historic Camping & Teardrop Trailers”
The following organizations are sponsoring this project with materials, information, time, or financing. This list is growing!
National RV Museum
Walla Walla University
United States Library of Congress
Camp-Inn Teardrop Trailers
The Shank Family
Matt and Jessica Ryan
The River Empires